Friday, September 4, 2009

Change vs. Transition

This week I had the pleasure of speaking to a group of local business professionals. My talk was on the topic of Change. Before launching into my presentation I asked the group what they hoped to learn from our discussion. A few had specific questions and most seemed curiously interested in what I might have to say. One question or thought offered from the group was about change, and knowing how and when transition occurs. You may be thinking Change and Transition… aren’t they the same. The answer is yes and no.

Change is about seizing control and Transition is all about the unique and specific steps or milestones one goes through to arrive at a different place. Change and Transition for sure are closely related. The thing they have in common is the presence of Tension. The bottom line is the degree of tension will always determine the pace of a Change or Transition. That is something to think about.

No comments: