Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Full Plate

When I was growing up my mother would always tell me to eat everything on my plate. She would add that there were people starving in other parts of world. These very people would love to have what I had on my plate. She made her point. So, I ate everything that was placed in front of me – so did my brothers and sister.

Some lessons are hard to unlearn. Now that I am all grown up (I have been for a few years) I can now decide for myself what I am going to eat or not. This is also true about my workload. At least I like to think so.

On this Sunday before Memorial Day, I am consumed with thoughts of work that has to get done. Yes, my plate is full again. This time no one is telling me I have to eat it all. I just know I do. If I don’t I will have serious leftovers. These are the kind that cannot be refrigerated or put on ice. They are the kind that can’t be thrown out.

So, I don’t really have a choice here. I have to do the work or deal with the consequences. I am sure it’s happen to you. You find you have so many things on your plate but little or no time to get it all done. What do you do? Answer!

You get it done. I mean, you eat it all one bite at a time. Here is when I suggest reading the book – “Eat That Frog,” by Brian Tracy. It may seem like a stretch considering the way I started this message, but believe me it is on point.

If you want to manage what’s on your plate this time and the next time (there will be a next time) the book offers great tips. It is a good read and I recommend it to anyone who wants to have cake – after eating of course.

If you are grown up like me, you want your cake and to eat it too.




No comments: